2016-2017 MUSIC SCHOOL CONCERTO & ARIA COMPETITION GUIDELINES
1. This competition is open to Rhode Island Philharmonic Music School student musicians who play either piano, orchestral or band instruments, or sing. Applicants must be enrolled in private lessons or a youth ensemble at the Rhode Island Philharmonic Music School. Age limit: Students must be under the age of 19 as of January 1, 2017. There is no minimum age.
2. The winner will perform a movement of a concerto or an aria with the RI Philharmonic Youth Orchestras (RIPYO) on the May 6, 2017 concert at Veteran’s Memorial Auditorium with Alexey Shabalin conducting.
3. Students who performed a concerto movement with the RIPYO Symphony Orchestra last season are not eligible.
4. These recently performed pieces are not eligible: Poulenc Concerto for Two Pianos in D minor, FP 61; Haydn Cello Concerto in C Major, Hob VIIb, No. 1; Chopin Grande Polonaise Brillante in Eb Major, Op. 22; Danzi Sinfonia Concertante for Flute and Clarinet Op.41; Mozart Flute Concerto in D Major, K. 314/285D; or Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor
5. Application Deadline: Saturday November 12, 2016 - 5:00pm. Applicants must submit a piano-accompanied audition CD of a performance of the concerto movement or aria they will perform and include a hard copy of the accompaniment part along with the CD. The concerto movement or aria cannot exceed 12 minutes. Sonatas, etudes and art-songs are not acceptable.
6. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that the concerto or aria is in print arranged for orchestra and is available to order. If the orchestral parts of the concerto or aria need to be rented or purchased, the applicant is responsible for all charges.
7. Finalist Auditions: Saturday, February 18, 2017 - Afternoon. After the audition CDs have been reviewed, finalists will be selected to audition in person. Each applicant must perform his or her selection from memory with piano accompaniment. Be advised that the judges may request that you stop, repeat, or skip repetitive passages and may not listen to the entire movement or aria. Finalists must bring an original copy of the solo part and the piano accompaniment with them that day.
8. Finalists are responsible for hiring an accompanist, setting up their own rehearsal times with their accompanist and paying rehearsal and performance fees. Since the quality of the accompaniment can impact the solo performance, we advise applicants to select experienced and proficient accompanists. All applicants must audition with piano accompaniment.
9. To enter the competition, students must submit the completed application form, audition CD and accompaniment part by the 5:00pm Saturday, November 12, 2016 deadline.
Mail to: Concerto Competition, Rhode Island Philharmonic
667 Waterman Ave. East Providence, RI 02914
10. We will inform applicants of results by email or mail and send finalists an assigned audition time for the February 18 live auditions. Finalists must arrive at least 30 minutes before their audition time to check-in and warm up. Failure to appear at a scheduled audition time may result in forfeiture. Please dress appropriately for a performance. Students are to leave immediately following the conclusion of the finals. Winners will not be announced on the day of the finals.
11. The decisions of the judges are final. Judges reserve the right to make the final determination of the specific work and movement to be performed.
Contact: Chelsea Anderson (401) 248-7038 or email@example.com